The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1
This verse from the Book of Psalms was used as an open art challenge this past weekend. I knew I would use an egg, but what would I do on it? I am so slow when it comes to planning and executing an egg design that I had concerns that I would finish in time. But, I was thrilled with how it turned out!
When I thought of skies and heavens I knew I had to figure out the perfect blue dye to use for the background. To emphasize the sky I wanted it to be a simple yet complex design.
I used the top design for the sun and free-flowing vines on the bottom to represent the earth. Here are some better shots of the top and bottom of the egg.
I have always considered the circle to be one of God’s greatest creations. Think about it, it’s perfect and encompasses so much of what we use, and it shows up in nature everywhere….with no beginning and no end.
So I designed a center band of circles and kept their coloration as white on white depicting God’s purity.
Since this egg didn’t involve multiple dye baths, the steps were few, but because of the etching and white on white, there was some intensity involved. When you look at the finished egg notice the white on white to see the nice effect etching gives.
This photograph was taken after I had done an extensive etch in a weak muriatic acid bath. At this point, the acid has eaten away the egg shell that wasn’t protected by the wax. This resulted in the waxed portions being raised from the rest of the egg surface. After this period of etching, I went back and waxed over the portions I wanted to have white in the background. Look at the circles… the small ones I waxed completely over and the larger ones I only waxed in the bands solidly. On the top, there were some small bits I waxed in and also the large petal-looking sections. I finished the meandering vine by waxing in the leaves and small flowers. I missed photographing the egg from this point on because it was getting to be pretty late at night and I was on a roll. ; )
I had to experiment with the dye color. The blues I had were too “bright bluey” even after I had diluted them, so they would not work. Then I wondered about some old gray dye that was needing to be replaced, and I mixed some diluted blue dye with it, and I got the perfect blue I was after!
Here is the finished egg again.
I forgot to mention that this is a goose egg which is a little longer than the turkey eggs I often use and much larger than chicken eggs.
Doing this egg was not in my plans, but I’m so glad I participated in the challenge. I hope you enjoy it as well!
To God be the glory.